ST. PATRICK PARISH
The mission of Jesus, and therefore, the church, is to proclaim the Good News of salvation to all. As part of Jesus and His Church, we the members of St. Patrick Parish, Green Bay, are called to share this mission. To proclaim the Good News we will: witness love for one another regardless of gender, color, race; be united in worship and prayer; live in a spirit of hospitality and welcome; have compassion for those in need; deepen our awareness toward the world community; be responsible for the earth’s resources.
St. Patrick is the patron of Ireland.
Feast Day: March 17
St. Patrick’s has a long and fruitful history in Green Bay. After a year of construction, dedication ceremonies were held on September 23, 1866. Four years later, the parish found it necessary to expand. The church size was doubled and turned to face the east. The existing church was built under the leadership of Rev. Michael O’Brien in 1893-94.
Father John O’Brien came to St. Patrick’s in 1982. Under his leadership all the buildings were upgraded, the parking lot was paved, the grounds were landscaped, the ramp entrance was constructed (which is handicapped accessible), central air conditioning was installed, and a new steeple was erected on the church.
Msgr. Brian Coleman succeeded Fr. O’Brien as Administrator in 1999. There were updates under his leadership as well. All 14 of the beautiful stained glass windows (a St. Patrick’s treasure) were rejuvenated and repaired. It was a time consuming task, but well worth the effort.
St. Patrick’s was the first Irish settlement church on the west side of Green Bay where family roots and traditions grow deep. Although families and friends have grown up and moved away, many come back to St. Patrick’s to worship, pray, and visit. St. Patrick’s is a neighborhood parish, yet our parishioners live throughout Green Bay and the surrounding areas.