St. Joseph Parish
We, the parishioners of St. Joseph, Green Bay, have been a community of faith since 1914. We accept the challenge
and commitment of our Baptism to follow the example of Jesus in all things. We commit ourselves to be a people of prayer and worship. We make life-long faith formation a priority as we provide opportunities for growth and development for all members. We strive to be generous stewards of our gifts, skills and resources. Trusting in the Lord’s presence in our lives, we are able to bring God’s message to our families, our community, and our world.
St. Joseph is the patron of workers, the Universal Church and immigrants.
Feast Day: March 19
St. Joseph Parish was established in 1914, accommodating the increasing expansion of the west side of the city, then being served solely by St. Patrick Church. Rev. Matthias Kraus was appointed as first pastor and served in this position until 1930.
St. Joseph Catholic Grade School opened in 1917 and was run by the Sisters of St. Agnes until 1932. In 1938, because of deteriorating structural conditions, a decision was made to construct a new church, school, and convent—the buildings now known as St. Joseph. The new school was staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Manitowoc and had an enrollment of 354 students.
Although previously established churches in Green Bay were formed primarily by ethnic groupings, joining people with similar national backgrounds, St. Joseph would have territorial lines only, including many of the common laborers and less wealthy people. Thus the name St. Joseph, patron saint of laborers, was chosen.